Subject: Re: Boot Problem -- ttyflags lock it up
To: greg walsh <gwalsh@artec.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/29/1998 15:01:16
greg walsh wrote:
> I just installed 1.3.2 on a Quadra 840av with 80mb ram.  I'm running it
> on a Connor 500mg drive with three partitions set up as "root/usr",
> "swap", "usr".   I'm using native video with an old Apple 16" monitor.
> Installation went fine, and the machine boots into single user mode
> without a problem.
>
> However, when I edit the rc.conf line "rc_configured" to =YES the boot
> hangs at the line in the rc script "ttyflags -a".   It just locks the
> machine and I need to do a hard reboot.

is it locking up on the ttyflags call, or is it actually the next line?

> I've tried editing the ttys file to say that all nodes are on and
> secure, but that didn't help.

nooooo!!  the only thing that should actually be on is ttye0.  the line
for console and tty00 and tty01 should both be off....perhaps this is the
problem?

> Also, in configuring the rc.conf, should I go with the defaults?

sure, unless there is something in there which you really don't need and
can turn off...

> I lack
> the background right now to really know what I need to complete setting
> the machine up, so a little guidence on that would be greatly
> appreciated.

i think the defaults are good enough for most things.  they're certainly
not going to hurt anything :-)

> Like I said, I'm walking into this cold, it's an interesting experience
> though, it just seems to have a 90 degree learning curve.

oh, no, not at all.  if you're completely new to unix, it might be a bit
tough, but i find that the system as a whole is pretty well documented and
runs pretty well.  it's a lot nicer than the version of AIX that i'm
currently using, for example.

> Ahhhh one other thing.  I downloaded a bunch of the original BSD 4.4
> material, but it's all unix .ps files.  Does anyone have an epson (800)
> printer working with NetBSD?

not that i know of, but someone might have not reported it yet.

> If so, could you give me a quick clue on
> how to configure that device.  If I could print out those files, it
> might help me avoid asking such basic questions of the group.

actually, it's highly unlikely that anything in those docs will help you
with beginner questions.  most of the available docs are either on obscure
topics like sendmail or the fast filesystem, or else cover something
useless like how to bootstrap a vax from tape...if you have a copy of the
unix sysadmin handbook, it's a hell of a lot more useful.  if you're new
to unix, you might want to get a book on being a unix user, tho.  there
are a number of useful books on the subject.

i hope this helps some.

later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation