Subject: Re: Slightly off topic serial console
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/29/1998 16:43:28
>>I know this is slightly off topic, so anticipated apologies:
>>
>>Is there anyone out there who tried to do do a - *PROLONGATED* -
>>ser-to-ser connection using a modem on both ser ports connecting then
>>the 2 modems with an rj11 phone cable? I thought that might be a cheaper
>>way to exceed the about 5m limit of direct ser connection (at least
>>that's what I learned would be the limit on the Mac) than any
>>ser-to-ethernet converter - considering the actual modem prices.
>>

>At 57,600 you ought to be able to do a lot more than 5m.  The Mac has
>diffential drivers, which if you use them should be good for a long way.
>The same drivers at 230,400 drive multidrop LocalTalk up to 1000m using
>PhoneNet.  Try using two twisted pair to connect the machines for whatever
>distance you are trying.

No, I definitely would NOT try to use twisted pair for serial
communications! LocalTalk is NOT the same as serial connection. LocalTalk
spec only uses those 2 pair of wires. The Serial port, however, is an 8-pin
port (other than the 660 and 840 AVs which have a 9th pin), and hardware
handshaking uses all 8 pins, I believe (but it's been awhile since I
actually needed to know). So, you cannot use PhoneNet connectors to do
serial communications.

I'm open to corrections,
Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.