Subject: Re: Slightly off topic serial console
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Clark Martin <clarkm@pacbell.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/29/1998 11:27:41
>I know this is slightly off topic, so anticipated apologies:
>
>Is there anyone out there who tried to do do a - *PROLONGATED* -
>ser-to-ser connection using a modem on both ser ports connecting then
>the 2 modems with an rj11 phone cable? I thought that might be a cheaper
>way to exceed the about 5m limit of direct ser connection (at least
>that's what I learned would be the limit on the Mac) than any
>ser-to-ethernet converter - considering the actual modem prices.

At 57,600 you ought to be able to do a lot more than 5m.  The Mac has
diffential drivers, which if you use them should be good for a long way.
The same drivers at 230,400 drive multidrop LocalTalk up to 1000m using
PhoneNet.  Try using two twisted pair to connect the machines for whatever
distance you are trying.

Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA
Macintosh / Internet Consulting