Subject: Re: Turbo 040 card
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/26/1998 01:12:37
Shelby Rogers Davis <sdavis+@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

Shelby> I have an old IIci here with 32 megs of ram and a
Shelby> brand new HD that I'd like to put to good use, and
Shelby> it has a Turbo 040 Accelerator card.

Shelby> It boots up NetBSD fine(sometimes) with it in, but
Shelby> it doesn't really do anything but hang, like when I
Shelby> run vi or something. I've taken it out for now, but
Shelby> it sure makes it fast, and I'd like to run NetBSD
Shelby> with it in.

Really?  It prompts and you can login?  Hmm... okey.  Does
the card have external cache memory?  If so, turn it off and
see what changes.

Shelby> Any pointers on how to compile a custom kernel?
Shelby> (either in MacOS or on various faster Unix machines
Shelby> I have access to) Also, I tried to run vipw and it
Shelby> locked the passwd file and hung, and I'd like to add
Shelby> some users other than root. how should I alleviate
Shelby> this?

IIRC, Turbo 040 card is not supported yet.  If you want to
support it fully, the technical infomations of hardware
control registers, especially processor and/or cache are
needed.

But as above, it might not so hard...  BTW, if it has an
LC040 chip on it, you may want to replace it to full 040.

--
SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>
Hack on NetBSD, and your code runs on over 20 architectures!