Subject: Re: Kernel
To: Michael Joy <mjoy@kdi.com>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@fastloki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/24/1998 12:43:33
On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Michael Joy wrote:

> what kernel should I be using for a Performa 630 w/ 68040 cpu? I'm getting
> wierd panic halts during the bootup. They go as follow's:
> after the scsi ---> then on to fpu0 ---> it gets to root files system type:
> ffs the HD churns and it says
>
> panic: pool_get: must have NOWAIT
> Stopped at      _Debugger0x6:   unlk     a6

That's from a long-standing bug which was recently discovered in the scsi
driver.

> I have no clue what this meens! I tried the current snapshot build kernels:
> Generic-84 GenericSBC-84 MRT-84 MRGSBC-84
>
> what is wrong?

The driver is trying to allocate memory and is indicating that it can wait
for the memory to become available if none is now. The problem is it's
doing it at a time when the mechanism to wait for memory to become
available (the ability to put thi on hold and come back to it) is not
operative.

Recent kernels have fixed this, though I'm not sure which ones you want.

Take care,

Bill