Subject: RE: naming
To: BloodWolf <bloodwolf@usa.net>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@fastloki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/24/1998 10:18:34
On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, BloodWolf wrote:

> coolness! hrmm well one more question before I have to go, what's up with
> the kernel naming convention? Generic, Generic SBC ect.... and which one
> should I use out of the current 905 distro on the ftp.netbsd.org server? I'm
> just installing the one on top now, the Generic 84 one

"GENERIC" is one of the kernel configuration files in
/src/sys/arch/mac68k/conf. It represents a "generic" configuration for a
mac68k kernel. It doesn't have a lot of low-use options (like NETCCITT,
...) and has support for most mac68k stuff (like all of the processors we
support). GENERICSBC is GENERIC but using the sbc scsi driver rather than
the ncr scsi driver. These are two dufferent drivers for the same chip,
and they have different failings.

Take care,

Bill