Subject: Re: Performa 630CD with IDE Drive
To: None <bloodwolf@usa.net>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/24/1998 08:27:07
On Wed, 23 Sep 1998 17:38:50 -0500, BloodWolf wrote:
> I'm tryin' to use mkfs on the ide drive, but all it detects are scsi
> devices.. The cdrom is scsi so it detects that but it doesn't bother to scan
> the ide bus! I've installed NetBSD on scsi systems but on this mac with an
> ide drive it's not working... I've even swapped out a LC040 for a real 040
> so now it's faster than ever! Any thoughts?

Did you read the document that comes with the distribution?  I'm
pretty sure it is mentioned somewhere in the doc that only SCSI hard
drives are supported at the moment.  You need an external SCSI drive.

Although there's an experimental IDE device driver for the kernel, the
installation tools have not been converted to support IDE drives just
yet.

[IDE driver status report]
Currently I'm out of idea.  It's much harder to debug a driver without
the hardware at your hand.  I might be getting a loaner 630 or
something.  Stay tuned.

Ken