Subject: PB170 Floppy support
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Kevin McEnhill <mcenhillk@geocities.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/23/1998 18:56:19
Howdy,

Well, I have managed to get NetBSD installed on a PB170 with a HUGE 80MB
harddrive. To give myself some more NetBSD space, I am booting off of a
floppy. That works just fine but once NetBSD is running, I can't access
the floppy. When I try to mount /dev/fd/0 to /mnt it tells me that mount
needs a block device. So I went and created a block device (mknod 0,raw b
21 5) and tried again. I now get a 'device not configured. I am using
PeeCee formatted floppies because I noticed that there was no 'mount_hfs'
command.

So, to solve my problem, I need one of three things. One, do we have
floppy support yet? If so, what am I doing wrong? Two, is there a
'mount_hfs' command somewhere? If there is, how do I get it on the
harddrive? I do not have a network card and transfering from the floppy
is the problem I am trying to solve now. This kind of leads to the third
solution, do we have AppleShare support yet? That way I can mount an hfs
filesystem on another Mac and transfer the files I need. Actualy, is
there a way to transfer arbitrary files with 'NetBSD Installer'? I have
the kernal on another system and a bootdisk that boots System 7.0.1 and
AppleShare on a single floppy. That way, I can run the installer and boot
programs.

Thanks for any help you can give. If I have not made myself clear, please
ask.

Kevin McEnhill
mcenhillk@geocities.com