Subject: Re: -current kernel with 1.3.2
To: Roger G. Fischer <rgfischer@mail.hac.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/23/1998 11:31:38
Roger G. Fischer wrote:
> I have NetBSD 1.3.2 installed on my Centris 610.
> I'm interested in using a newer kernel since I've heard that using a
> newer one will avoid the screen wrapping problem when I'm using X at
> screen resolutions greater than 640 X 480.
>
> Will there be a problem if I upgrade only the kernel to -current but
> leave everything else as it?
>
> I'm also looking for the newest "kernel building HOW-TO", but can't
> seem to find one.  I've got an old one for 1.2.1, but wasn't able
> to find a newer one on the site.

it's still fairly accurate, tho.  kernel building has much changed in a
number of years :-)

the only thing to take note of is to ignore anything about config.new or
config.old, just use config.

also, if you're going to compile a -current kernel, you're going to need
the latest version of config, i think.  the sources for this are in the
same place and the kernel source.

> is there a precompiled kernel I could drop in, instead of building
> one myself?  I'm really new to all of this.

you can try a -current kernel if you'd like.  steve's latest build is
available (as usual) on ftp.netbsd.org and its mirrors in

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/snapshot/

i think.

later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation