Subject: Re: silo overflows
To: Ulrich Hausmann <ulrich.hausmann@a2e.hp.shuttle.de>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/23/1998 11:44:07
On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, Ulrich Hausmann wrote:
> I second this: Even the Apple IIGS can keep fine with 57.6 on its ser
> port (having technically the same as the SE) and it's only at 4 Mhz and
> 16 bit data bus! Well, you have to not run other processes or desk
> accessories . . .

Um, it's more like 2.5MHz (the //c+ is the 4MHz machine). And I could
never get 57.6Kbaud without silo overflows on an unaccelerated IIgs, even
with something like ProTerm. My machine runs at 10MHz, and can handle
57.6K if (as you say) no other processes are running. The IIgs could
handle localtalk though, I think by having the chip interrupt at the start
of a packet, then polling for the rest (isn't that how it's also done
under MacOS? At least for the non-DMA capable machines?)