Subject: Re: silo overflows
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/22/1998 11:08:29
On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Dave Huang wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Hugh Harris wrote:
> > The pppd manual pages suggest that netBSD should be able to handle any serial
> > speed, but I have found this to be incorrect, nothing in between 38400 and
> > 57600 work.

pppd can deal with any baud rate, but the serial port can't. 57600, 38400,
28800, and 19200 are the highest standard rates.

> It's probably your modem that can't handle baud rates between 38400 and
> 57600. At least I haven't seen any modem that will accept anything other
> than the "standard" baud rates (e.g. 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200,
> and some lower ones, maybe a higher one). I'm pretty sure NetBSD itself
> can do odd baud rates though (perhaps useful for null modem connections
> between two machines).

Nope. Though if you had an external clock at an odd rate, we could use it.
For instance, that's how MIDI devices work - the supply the serial port
w/ a 1 MHz clock, and we get the 31250 or so baud rate from it.

Take care,

Bill