Subject: Re: silo overflows
To: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/21/1998 16:54:04
>> BSD reports numerous "silo overflows" (between 5 and 40) every few
>> minutes under network traffic.
>>
>> I've got no idea what these are!
>
>They are when the modem was sending information too quickly to the
>computer, and some information got lost. David's suggestion of lowering
>the speed, to say 38400, is a good one. 57600 is just on the edge of what
>the '030's can do. :-(

I'd like to amend that by saying that 57600 is on the edge of what MacBSD
can do on an '030. The Mac itself has no trouble whatsoever keeping up. I
used to use my Mac SE to download at 57600 with no trouble under MacOS. The
hardware can keep up just fine, so it's something under MacBSD's interrupt
scheme that's not keeping up. Remember, that Mac SE is an 8 Mhz 68000.

>> The SE/30 has an Asante ethernet card - not sure of model etc.....
>>
>> Any ideas out there???
>>
>> One other question, Paul Goyette's ppp kit provides dial-on-demand for
>> those that have static IPs, but he suggests that this is impossible for
>> dynamically assigned IPs.   Is this still the case?
>
>Yes, and it will always be the case. The problem is that dial on demand
>keeps network connections open even when the modem gets disconnected. It
>works as when the modem re-dials, it gets the same IP address it had
>before. With dynamic addresses, that's not so. You'll get a different
>address when you redial. :-(

Yes, but why can't it be used just like having FreePPP set to allow
applications to connect? That works fine under MacOS. I understand that
socket connections couldn't be maintained across sessions, but you should
be able to rig it to just re-ppp-up everytime we want to send something out
& then time-out the connection after "n" minutes of inactivity. As long as
you ppp-down upon that timeout, I dunno why there'd be a problem.

Just some random thoughts,
Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.