Subject: Re: Booter 1.11.3
To: Ulrich Hausmann <ulrich.hausmann@a2e.hp.shuttle.de>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/20/1998 15:31:08
Ulrich Hausmann wrote:
> First of all thanks to you and all the others who tried to help me out.
> Secondly, sorry for waisting your time. But trust me, I looked in the -
> admittedly - few Unix books I have here as well in man localtime, but I
> didn't find exactly the way how it is set up. Very likely due to both,
> my limited knowledge of English and my zero knowledge of Unix. And
> sincerely, I didn't expect to find something in regard in the FAQ. Ok,
> learned the lesson . . .:))

well, take some time and read the whole thing over.  it's got some very
useful info in it :-)

> Practically: I already had done like you and also others described
> and advised, but I still do not get CET but only GMT, although I've set
> my timezone to Berlin (tried also Luxembourg and Amsterdam).

when you boot, do you get a note about the PRAM time not being the same as
the boottime?  if there is a significant difference between your mac's
time and what netbsd thinks can be the real time, it'll go with what it
thinks is the real time (i think this is based on filesystem modification
time), and that is often off by an hour or so.  also, this usually happens
when you've been messing around with the clock.  if you boot again
tomorrow, it might be cleared up.

> There is
> always displayed GMT and the corresponding time (2 hrs after mine). May
> be NetBSD does not know CET?

sure it does.  that's what /usr/share/zoneinfo/CET is for :-)  are you
sure that you followed the directions in the FAQ, tho?  you _must_ set
your timezone in either the Map control panel or the Date & Time control
panel if it is settable there.  i try to make sure that both agree, more
or less (although the map control panel doesn't seem to handle DST very
well).

> And then: How will NetBSD know, when the
> ending of the summertime is set?

the zoneinfo files contain this kind of information.

> I'm not sure, but I think earliest last
> year the EU decided to finish summertime not as before on the last
> Sunday of September but a month later. And very likely there were no
> formal decision taken on the ending point of summertime this year before
> end of 97 (?).

it is possible that the zoneinfo file from 1.3.2 is not up to date if
something has changed that recently.  i believe that -current imported the
latest zoneinfo files about 4 months ago, tho.  another option is to find
the master site for this kind of thing and install the latest and greatest
yourself (i don't remember where it is offhand, but a web search should
turn it up).

i hope this helps.

later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation