Subject: Re: Disabling SCSI Blind Transfers
To: SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>
From: I-Jong Lin <ijonglin@EE.Princeton.EDU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/18/1998 11:47:53

> I-Jong Lin <ijonglin@EE.Princeton.EDU> wrote:
>
> I-Jong> so I need to know where and how can I change these
> I-Jong> blind SCSI transfers to normal ones in the NetBSD
> I-Jong> kernel?  Or are blind transfers critical to the
> I-Jong> NetBSD?
>
> I think that there's no need to do so, since NetBSD doesn't
> use SCSI driver which is on the driver partition of the
> drive, but not sure.  Do you have any problem yet?

Well, some files seem to imply that blind transfers are implemented
in the NetBSD kernel.

In dev/mac68k5380.c, for instance, there's a comment:

/*
 * This is the meat of the PDMA transfer.
 * When we get here, we shove data as fast as the mac can take it.
 * We depend on several things:
 *   * All macs after the Mac Plus that have a 5380 chip should have a general
 *     logic IC that handshakes data for blind transfers.
etc.

So, I'm of the impression that the kernel uses blind transfers.

Well, the problem is that after I turn my accelerator, any writes to the
SCSI device write garbage to disk and corrupting the disk.  I've found
out that in the MacOS code for the accelerator, it converts blind
transfer to "normal" by changing some sort of SCSI opcode.  I
just want to know how to do this in the NetBSD world.

Hope this clarifies the problem,
I-Jong