Subject: Problems booting recent kernels on IIvx
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew James ROBBIE <ajrobb@students.cs.mu.OZ.AU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/18/1998 02:36:21
Hi people,

I've tried out a couple of the recent kernels released as snapshots, but
none of them them successfully boot. This is on a Mac IIvx, 20MB RAM,
Apple 2-page monochrome, Apple standard ADB devices. 1.3.2 runs fine,
so it isn't a major hassle, but I would like to try out -current before
the 1.4 release...

This is the boot sequence from the 19980905 snapshot (using GENERIC and
MRG kernels produces the same results) :

    - MacOS 7.1.2: Booter 1.11.3. Booting off the -current kernel sitting
      on my 1.3.2 root partition. Disk is a quantum 250MB.
    - The booter loads the kernel file and starts NetBSD without any
      problems.
    - NetBSD boot sequence comes up, messages as usual until

      "asc0 at obio0: Apple Sound Chip" (just after "adb: 100 dpi mouse at 3")

      at which point it freezes. Pressing the hardware interrupt button:

      PC is 0x13676e

      and doing a stack trace

        _Debugger(12f3a2, 13676e, 1ddc68, 351a0) + 6
        _nmihan(
        _lev7intr(
        _lev2intr(
        _asc_intr_enable(
        _ascattach(
        _config_attach(
        _obio_search(
        _mapply(
        _config_search(
        _obio_attach(
        _config_attach(
        _mainbus_search(
        _mapply(
        _config_search(
        _mainbus_attach(
        _config_attach(
        _config_rootfound(
        _configure(

Does anyone know what could be going wrong? I'm happy to try out any
special debug kernels if that would help. Also, I am wondering if it
could be related to the problem reported by Hans-Christian Becker
(Thu, 10 Sep 1998 15:31:59 +0200, "-current & GENERIC-84 problems")
where it stops at "Configuring network interfaces: mc0". I don't have
any ethernet cards connected, it just seems slightly similar.

TIA,
Andrew

--
a.robbie@ugrad.unimelb.edu.au