Subject: Re: Hard drive partitioning
To: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/17/1998 17:08:24
On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Dr. Bill Studenmund wrote:
> As an added complication, I'm not aware of drives which advertize where
> the different zones are. Plus, as the drive's supposed to do block
> re-allocation on its own, you'll never FULLY know where a block is. :-(

I think you can query SCSI drives for the zone information... at least it
works on the drives I've tried it on (a couple of Quantums, and an IBM
Ultrastar something)...
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/mlist/port-mac68k/1998/04/12/0005.html has a
bit more info on how to do it if anyone's interested.

It might even be possible to find out where bad blocks got remapped to,
but I'm not sure about that.
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 22 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++