Subject: Re: pppd chat-script doesn't like my modem init string...
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Ruschmeyer, John <jruschme@att.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/16/1998 12:17:12
>     I would like to slow down my modem connect speed to achieve a
>     more stable connection on my 56k modem.  The problem is, when
>     I changed the modem init, my Chat-Script would fail.
>
>     I was using        AT&F1
>     I'd like to use    AT&F1+MS=,,,46000
>
>     I've tried putting quotes, apostrophes, and left-apostrophes
>     ( " " ,  ' ',   & ` `) around the string, but it still doesn't
>     accept it.  Any ideas?

Oooh... I know this one... :-)

No qotes/apostrophes/etc around the string. Just put a single backslash in
front of the "&".

	AT\&F+MS=,,,46000

Otherwise, the particular line gets run in the background and the
environment variable for the modem init is never set. OTOH, quotes seem to
get included in the string which the modem then barfs on.

FYI, it took me the longest time to figure this one out on my system. For
some reason, my modem refuses to connect properly unless I init it to
defaults before the call. (Of course, this is the same modem which, out of
the box, wanted to connect at 300 baud.)

<<<John>>>

"One World, One Web, One Program" - Microsoft Promotional Ad