Subject: Re: Hard drive partitioning
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/15/1998 12:49:53
At 10:03 PM -0700 9/14/98, Ken Nakata wrote:
>On Mon, 14 Sep 1998 13:51:50 -0700, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>> Someone on this list posted a way to get the actual geometry of a SCSI
>> drive zone-by-zone.  I imagine you could get a small speed gain by
>> arranging for the supposed cylinder boundaries to match up with the actual
>> physical ones, but that's probably not possible without substantial
>> modifications to several parts of the OS.
>
>If we are really going to do it, a serious rethinking in FFS is in
>order.

I was thinking more of constraining partitions to single zones so the FFS
assumptions would actually match the physical geometry.  Then it's just a
matter of code tweaking without so much thought required.  I don't think
it's really worth doing though because it's too much work for just a
jury-rigged solution.