Subject: Re: Asante MacCON+ LC Rev. C1 NIC support under NetBSD 1.3 on Performa 430?
To: Jeff Brendle <bli@psu.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/15/1998 09:55:44
Jeff Brendle wrote:
> At 9:18 AM -0700 9/15/98, Colin Wood wrote:
> >Jeffrey S. Brendle wrote:
> >> I wrote quite a while ago asking about support for this Asante NIC based
> >> on the DP83932VF chip, but then had to put my playing with NetBSD/mc68k
> >> on the back burner. Now that I have some free time again, and having
> >> misplaced all the replies from the earlier query, I was wondering what
> >> steps are necessary to try and get this working. At boot, "ae" reports
> >> that it failed to determine the RAM size. From reading the FAQ, I am
> >> assuming that "ae" is the right match for this chip (probably), but what
> >> do I need to do to support this card? Would appreciate any information
> >> from those out there who've gone down this road before. thanks much!
> >
> >actually, shouldn't "sn" be matching this card?  i'm pretty sure that's
> >the sonic part number.  the "ae" driver should only be attaching to a
> >DP8390 of DP83902 part.  are you sure the chip on your card isn't the
> >latter?  i thought that most of asante's maccon cards were based on the
> >8390, not the sonic....
>
> You're right... that is the "Sonic" part. That's what the chip has printed
> on it... I don't know if this is just an odd-ball for Asante. But on boot
> w/ the "genericsbc"  1.3.2 kernel, "ae" tries and fails (on nubus0 slots a,
> c, and e), "sn" never appears. Perhaps the "vf" means something is
> different about this particular chip?

without looking at the code (which is probably a mistake), the nubus probe
probably recognizes the asante driver and assumes that it's an 8390
instead of an 83932.  sounds like this may require a little special
casing.  perhaps allen briggs will know more about this one, tho.

later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation