Subject: Re: Asante MacCON+ LC Rev. C1 NIC support under NetBSD 1.3 on
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Jeff Brendle <bli@psu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/15/1998 12:40:38
At 9:18 AM -0700 9/15/98, Colin Wood wrote:
>Jeffrey S. Brendle wrote:
>> I wrote quite a while ago asking about support for this Asante NIC based
>> on the DP83932VF chip, but then had to put my playing with NetBSD/mc68k
>> on the back burner. Now that I have some free time again, and having
>> misplaced all the replies from the earlier query, I was wondering what
>> steps are necessary to try and get this working. At boot, "ae" reports
>> that it failed to determine the RAM size. From reading the FAQ, I am
>> assuming that "ae" is the right match for this chip (probably), but what
>> do I need to do to support this card? Would appreciate any information
>> from those out there who've gone down this road before. thanks much!
>
>actually, shouldn't "sn" be matching this card?  i'm pretty sure that's
>the sonic part number.  the "ae" driver should only be attaching to a
>DP8390 of DP83902 part.  are you sure the chip on your card isn't the
>latter?  i thought that most of asante's maccon cards were based on the
>8390, not the sonic....

You're right... that is the "Sonic" part. That's what the chip has printed
on it... I don't know if this is just an odd-ball for Asante. But on boot
w/ the "genericsbc"  1.3.2 kernel, "ae" tries and fails (on nubus0 slots a,
c, and e), "sn" never appears. Perhaps the "vf" means something is
different about this particular chip?
-jeff

>later.
>
>--
>Colin Wood                                 cwood@ichips.intel.com
>Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation
>I speak only on my own behalf, not for my employer.

Jeff Brendle                        bli@psu.edu
Coordinator of Admin. Support       409 Walker Bldg.  Univ. Park, PA 16802
Penn State - College of E & M S     office: 814.865.3257 / home: 814.861.8180

fax: 814.863.7809