Subject: Re: Can't remove munged file (all better)
To: NetBSD digest <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Larry Kollar <Larry.Kollar@arris-i.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/14/1998 12:14:06
I had complained:

> > ... two files got so completely trashed that they look like
> > devices.  Worse, I can't do ***anything*** to them --
> > mv (rename or to another dir), rm -f, chmod, chown, all return
> > "Operation not permitted."

Dave Huang responded:

> Those two files probably have one or more special file flags
> set. Do a "ls -lo" on them to find out. Use "chflags" to remove
> the flags (see the manpage for instructions :), then you should
> be able to delete them.

That was indeed the case!  After dropping into single-user mode,
I was able to remove the offending flags (uchg, schg, uappend,
sappend come to mind) and then remove the files.

That & subsequent problems were the last straw... I'm now in
the market for a good used^H^H^H^H well-tested SCSI drive, 800MB
or thereabouts, preferably external.  All that Jaz is making it
hard to get stuff done with NetBSD.

	Larry