Subject: Re: PB170 Problems
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/11/1998 12:13:54
On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Colin Wood wrote:

> > Is there a way of dumping text from the console to the HFS partition. When I
> > turn on boot logging from Booter, I only get output from the booter.
>
> well, if you could do a multi-user boot, then yes, there's an easy way,
> but since you're hanging, no there's not a convenient way to do it (you
> could use a serial console, but in that case, i don't think that the adb
> messages would show up).

I just wanted to remind everyone that if you have a printer to which you
can send characters and they print, that you can use serial echo to get a
printout of the boot messages. Just set the default baud rate for the
printer port in the serial options dialog to whatever the printer wants
and turn on serial echo.

You can test the printer out using a terminal emulator under MacOS. If
what you type prints, you're set. Don't forget you might need some ^j's
and ^m's to get the printer to dumb the characters in its buffer.

My DeskWriter works great at 57600 baud.

Take care,

Bill