Subject: Remote control (was Re: partition limit?)
To: Ulrich Hausmann <ulrich.hausmann@rhein-neckar.netsurf.de>
From: Eric Damien Berna <eric@thiel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/11/1998 10:30:56
At 11:42 AM -0500 9/10/98, Ulrich Hausmann wrote:
>Second question, totally unconnected: You told me, you can controll you
>Quadra only remotedly. So I presume, you have another computer connected
>by a null modem cable? If so, from mini din 8 to mini din 8 that would
>be the same as a printer cable (straight thru)? And if so, in the booter
>I should check the serial console option, right? Moreover, would there
>be a problem, being the Mac ser port faster than the ser port of the
>Apple IIc+?

By remote control I meant over my local area network, not over serial
console. I can't use the serial console on the Quadra 950 for the same
reason I can't use ADB and work directly on the computer. The Quadra 950
has a special I/O processor that controls the ADB and serial ports. Since
Apple hasn't released the information on how these work, the code to make
them work under NetBSD doesn't exist.

I've never tried to get serial console to work on any of my NetBSD
computers, so I hope somebody will correct any errors I make here. I think
you are correct, a printer cable should work to connect your Mac to an
Apple IIc+. Also I think the speed of the serial ports can be set in the
booter so that you can match the speed of the Apple IIc+. Just setup the
communications package on the Apple IIc+ first.

I hope this helps.

Eric Damien Berna
eric@thiel.com

NetBSD 1.3.1 on a Mac IIcx