Subject: Re: java complier?
To: justin grammens <justin@imationstudio.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/10/1998 22:01:13
At 15:22 Uhr +0200 10.09.1998, justin grammens wrote:
>has anyone been able to get a java compiler (i.e. kaffe) to work on net.bsd
>1.3.2.?

Some months ago, I hacked the Kaffe 0.84 (the last JDK 1.0.2 compliant
version) jit to work on NetBSD/mac68k and sent the patches to Tim Wilkinson
(now www.transvirtual.com). But apparently they have never made it to
-current Kaffe versions, and AWT stuff did mostly not work then.

Be warned, though: Even on a 68040/33 the Kaffe jit is slow (as is MRJ
2.0). The 68K family is simply no match for Java. And from what I saw on
NetBSD/i386 I consider Kaffe still alpha wrt GUI applications - and the AWT
replacement looked even uglier than MOTIF to my eyes.

One of these days I shall sign Sun's source license and see if I can get
the NetBSD JDK port to run on my Quadra. But not just now...

	hauke