Subject: Re: Help needed!
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/09/1998 01:25:43
Ulrich> "Ulrich Hausmann"
Ulrich> <ulrich.hausmann@rhein-neckar.netsurf.de> wrote:

Ulrich> SUNAGAWA,

Ulrich> thanks a lot for all that advices, but actually,
Ulrich> that does not seem to be my problem with the hd:

Oh, I missed that.  Sorry.

Ulrich> I can *NOT* get the installer to install anything
Ulrich> correctly or to build devices. When I let the
Ulrich> installer install base.tgz, etc.tgz, kern.tgz, it
Ulrich> stops after a while (after finishing extracting the
Ulrich> first package, I think) and says:

>> Error on SCSIRead(), # 5
>> Error on SCSIWrite(), # 5
>> Error on SCSIRead(), # 5
>> Error on SCSIRead(), # 5
>> Error on SCSIWrite(), # 5
>> Error on SCSIRead(), # 5
>> pos = 0, i = 121, fs = /
>> alloccgblk: can't find blk in cyl

Hmm...  It seems that Installer fails to find root
partition in your drive.

1. How did you set up your NetBSD or A/UX partitions?  Some
formatting software seems to make Installer confuse.

2. Did you change the type of partitions to NetBSD and make
file systems in them with Mkfs?

3. How did you answer the question of asking drives which
contains your root partition in the first dialog of
Installer?  If you tell wrong drive to it, installation will
fail.

4. If you're sure that the partition's are ok, select Mini
Shell in Installer's menu and try "disklabel" and "mount"
command in it and let us the result?  Type help to get help
of the Mini Shell.

Ulrich> Strangely, when I did the first installation on the
Ulrich> hd I also got this error, but I could start NetBSD
Ulrich> (though getting an alarm 'warning: no /dev/console ')
Ulrich> but I never got a prompt (#).

The error sayss that you didn't make device files during the
installation.

Ulrich> After a second attempt to install, I only get the
Ulrich> Installer error, but trying to boot, I crash still
Ulrich> in MacOS! This time, I let NetBSD Installer build
Ulrich> first the devices, *BEFORE* I installed anything.
Ulrich> Nevertheless, I'm getting the same error and can not
Ulrich> boot (???).

Read what you see in the screen carefully, note down them
and what you do so others can reproduce your problem.  It's
needed further help.  We can't see what you doing:-)

--
SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>
Happy Hacking!