Subject: Re: netatalk problems, or maybe not?
To: Hans-Christian Becker <hcb@phc.chalmers.se>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/08/1998 11:54:39
On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, Hans-Christian Becker wrote:

> Hi all.
> I hate to bother this list with non-port-mac68k-specific questions, but I
> know that there has been some discussion about Netatalk recently. I run
> netatalk 1.4.2 with Adrian Sun's patches, and most of the stuff seems to be
> working OK. However, when atalkd starts, it spews out a gazillion lines like
> atalkd [xxx]: route: n -> 33728.128 Network not reachable
> where n goes from 1 to 10, and the from some high number (I think starting
> on the low limit of our network range) to the high limit of out network
> range. 33728 is our network number, and from the atalkd.conf file atalkd
> writes, it seems to get most of the information correctly from the router.

I've seen other folks report this problem, but I've never debugged it
myself. :-(

I think it's something to do with how atalkd does the adding and deleting
of routes. I think it assumes the kernel is more forgiving than our kernel
is. It doesn't happen on my current setup, so it's hard to test.

> I started by not having any atalkd.conf at all, but that caused a lot of
> failures that invlolved the interface eon0. Having a atalkd.conf file
> mc0
> seems to make it behave better. Oddly enough, I get the same long list of
> "Network not reachable" when I kill atalkd.

Do you really have an ISO network running?

Take care,

Bill