Subject: Re: Help needed!
To: Ulrich Hausmann <ulrich.hausmann@rhein-neckar.netsurf.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/08/1998 01:04:10
On Mon, 7 Sep 1998, Ulrich Hausmann wrote:

> After all that experiencing with NetBSD installation on a Syquest, I
> finally dared to pass over to the hd. It's a 4 GB Dec RZ29B (=a Dec
> labeled Seagate Barracuda).
>
> I installed the filesystem with Mkfs_1.45 and installed with the
> NetBSD/Installer the essential files (etc.tgz, kern.tgz, base.tgz). Now,
> when the installer should build devices, I'm getting this error msg:
>
> >sd0 at scsi ID 0.
> >sd1 at scsi ID 1.
> >Partition read, SCSIID = 0
> >Mounting partition 'A' as /
> >sd0a: Root 'A/UX Root' at 1245 size 3800000
> >sd0b: Swap 'NetBSD Swap' at 3801245 size 388416
> >sd0d: Other (FWB DRIVER COMPONENTS) 'FWB Driver Components' at 101 size 1024
> >sd0e: HFS_PART 'MacOS' at 4189661 size 2094208
> >sd0f: HFS_PART 'MacOS' at 6283869 size 2096210
> >sd0g: Other (APPLE_FREE) 'Extra' at 8380079 size 1
> >Error on SCSIRead(), # 5
> >Error on SCSIWrite(), # 5
> >Error on SCSIRead(), # 5
> >Error on SCSIRead(), # 5
> >Error on SCSIWrite(), # 5
> >Error on SCSIRead(), # 5
> >pos = 0, i = 121, fs = /
> >alloccgblk: can't find blk in cyl
>
> What's that? I'm able to boot in NetBSD, but then I get no prompt, but
> the error msg:
>
> >warning: no /dev/console

Please post the output of the following commmand, while booted from the
other drive:

dd if=/dev/rsd0c skip=1 count=16 conv=notrunc | strings --bytes=2 >map

The 'PM's deliniate the start of the partition maps. My hypothesis, as yet
unproven, is that more than eight of these leads to general failures.

Alternatively, there may a different problem altogethor with either Mkfs
or the Installer. Try this, also while booted into single-user from the
other drive.

# newfs -O /dev/rsd0a
# mount /dev/sd0a /mnt
# umount /mnt
# fsck /dev/rsd0a

and then try  again to make devices, fstab, etc. using the Installer.

Um... you didn't actually say that you had gotten the SyQuest to work.
Does it? Did you have to do anything different?