Subject: Re: starting "X"
To: None <fredfl2@soback.kornet21.net>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/06/1998 18:18:28
On Mon, 07 Sep 1998 09:16:42 +0900, fredfl2 wrote:
> I added the ls.so.conf file with the paths:
>
>   /usr/lib
> /usr/local/lib
> /usr/X11R6/lib
> usr/pkg/lib

Is this a verbatim copy of your /etc/ld.so.conf (not lS.so.conf)?
Maybe you don't have to worry if it's working all right, but you
probably should remove the two white spaces at the first line and add
'/' at the beginning of the last line.

> and I am able to start the x-windows only when I am logged on the root.
>
> When I type "startx" as a regular user, it responds with the message
> "comand not found".  How do I get it to find the command and start the
> X-windows.

Go to a bookstore nearest to you and look for a UNIX introductory
book.  It should have a section or two about the command search paths.
If you understand the concept, you'll have no problem fixing not only
this particular problem but also similar problems which might pop up
in the future.

This question and an answer to it are also found in the NetBSD/mac68k
FAQ, section 9.2 at http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/faq/.

Ken