Subject: Re: harddisk > 2GB not supported?
To: Reinhard Spieker <reinhard.spieker@usa.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/05/1998 22:58:14
Reinhard Spieker wrote:
> I tried to add a 3GB Quantum Fireball to a NetBSD system (IIci, 1.3 SBC
> #57). Installing the file system with Mkfs_1.45 works without any problems,
> all seems to be ok. But when i try to mount the hd, the mount command
> complains that the file system is not clean. So i wanted to use fsck to
> check (or repair) the file system. But the only thing happens is that fsck
> ends up in the debugger with the following msg:
>
> panic: pmap_alloc_pv: pgi_nfree inconsistant
> Stopped at _Debugger+0x6: unlk a6

can you try typing 'trace' (without the quotes) at the prompt?

> There is no difference whether using a root, root&usr or usr file system on
> this hd.

where are the partitions on your drive?  at the beginning or end?  do you
have any macos partitions on this disk?  what formatter did you use?  from
recent traffic on this list, all of the above seem to factor into how
easily it'll work...

btw, i've seen similar errors on a 4GB Quantum with a slightly munged
partition map.  my 4GB micropolis drive is working just fine at the
moment, tho....

> Would an upgrade to 1.3.2 help?

probably not, but i can't really say for sure until you try it.

later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation