Subject: Re: Installation problem
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/05/1998 13:09:25
>of) HD SC Setup. The only reason I used FWB on the Mac was, it allowed
>you to change the blocksize allowing in this way better use of storage
>on large partitions (but that's an ante-HFS+ problem; a format size I do
>not use, because I want to stay compatible with Prodos 8 and 16). Btw,
>is HFS+ a problem in some way?

Ummm, I hope that you didnt change blocksizes because of this. You
misinterpreted the difference between blocksize and allocation block size.
Blocksize is generally 512 or 1024 (1/2 a k or 1k). The allocation block on
a MacOS volume is the size of the volume divided by 65536, since that's the
maximum number of files that HFS can support. That is rounded to the
nearest 1/2k (that's where that 512 comes in). This is immutable, cannot be
changed, no matter what you do, no matter what formatter you use.

One other thing...if/when you go & reinstall everything, make sure that
you're booting an SBC kernel, as I believe that NCRs can munge up Syquest
filesystems.

One other thing you may want to do is run an integrity scan on the disk
("check disk media" or "surface scan" depending on the MacOS utility you
use). The disk itself may be what's hosing you. No removeable hard drive
system is worth much if data integrity is your main concern. SyQuest,
Bernouli, Zip, they all lose data and get corrupted blocks with alarming
speed.

Hope this helps,
Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.