Subject: Re: Installation problem
To: None <ulrich.hausmann@rhein-neckar.netsurf.de>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/05/1998 19:35:10
On Sat, 05 Sep 1998 11:35:36 +0200, Ulrich Hausmann wrote:
> when I booted in single user mode, I didn't get that error msg. But
> looking in /dev/, obviously, sd1a is still missing. Now, the files there
> (in /dev/) are that kinds of links (aliases or so?) to real pyhsical
> partitions? And if so, isn't it possible to rebuild one "by hand"?
> Especially since there are, as I saw two program files (or scripts?)
> MAKEDEV and MAKEDEV.local.

For now, booting into single-user mode and doing:

	mount -u /; cd /dev; ./MAKEDEV sd1

should make the device files sd1[a-g] and rsd1[a-g].  Later you should
read makedev(8) man page but it may not be installed on your system.

> Actually, in my understanding, I can not add a new user because I can
> not get in read/write mode, correct? And the reason is, that those
> /dev/sd1a does not exist . . .

No, I don't think so.  I remember you wrote you got the "rc.conf is
not configured" error.  I think it's in the FAQ
(http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/faq/, I think), so make sure to
read it.

BTW, what does your /etc/fstab say?

> Here are the other results of 'disklabel sd1' (note it's a Syquest 200
> at id 1):
> | 1 partitions:
> | #      size     offset   fstype   [fsize  bsize    cpg]
> |   a:  1229536     101      4.2BSD         0      0     0   # (Cyl.
> 0-2271*)
> | disklabel: boot block size 0
> | disklabel: super block size 0
> | disklabel: warning, unused partition c: size 390696 offset 0
>
> Hope this will give a better hint (not to me, so far :)  ).

I don't think it'll help you solve the problem at hand much, but why
don't you have a swap partition?  Is there another drive with a swap
partition on it?  If not, that could become a source of another
problem later on...

> A question re the partitioning and preparation of a hd on the Macside:
> That limit of 8 partitions is meant, when formatting a Mac hd. Would
> there count in also all partitions created by Mkfs?

Hmm, I'm not sure if I understand your question here, but the limit of
8 partitions (actually 7) is the number of partitions recognized by
and accessible to NetBSD.  NetBSD looks for the types it can use
(i.e. A/UX Root, Root&User, User, Swap, etc.) first, then adds
whatever left up to 8 in total (including the `c' partition which is
designated as the entire drive).  You can definitely have more than 8
partitions on one drive but some of them will be inaccessible to
NetBSD.

> I do not understand, whether or not the Ide driver is an own partition
> or simply written on to "driver partition" created by FWB or HD SC
> Setup.

The "driver partition" is a partition on its own.

> It's a bit a pity, FWB is so odd for NetBSD, since OTOH the full
> version is really nice for the Mac side (good recover tools and many
> options to optimize the format - differently from Silverlining and HD SC
> Setup).

Not sure what you mean.

> In any case, could I completely renounce at MacOS formatting,
> when I'd boot from a basic OS on an external drive. That would simplify
> things a lot, wouldn't it?

Maybe.

Ken