Subject: Re: Installation problem
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/04/1998 19:15:23
On Fri, 4 Sep 1998, Bob Nestor wrote:

> >access the original netbsd partition on the disk now; it panics the
> >machine to do a disklabel on that drive :-(  i haven't looked at it in a
> >while now, tho.
>
> This particular disk that's giving me fits was formatted on my PPC
> machine using Drive Setup 1.5.  For some reason it has a tendency of
> leaving a couple of danging "garbage" partitions on the disk much like HD
> Setup does.  I'm also getting warnings from some of the other disk
> formatters that the Partition Map has some "minor" problems.  Having
> looked at this in the past I seem to remember that the Partition Map size
> doesn't agree with the size actually allocated.  Too bad we (the NetBSD
> "we") haven't been monitoring the disk formatter that folks have used
> when they're reported problems with the utilities and NetBSD setup.  I'm
> beginning to suspect that some formatters may be more prone to tripping
> up NetBSD than others are.

You might play with pdisk and see if it can't clean that crud up.  Heck,
try it under NetBSD (ftp://globegate.utm.edu/pub/NetBSD/pdisk) if you're
daring.

Later,
David

David A. Gatwood                         Visit globegate's internet
dgatwood@globegate.utm.edu                  talker, Deep Space 36
http://globegate.utm.edu                telnet globegate.utm.edu:9624