Subject: Re: Installation problem
To: Ulrich Hausmann <ulrich.hausmann@rhein-neckar.netsurf.de>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/04/1998 18:47:19
Ulrich Hausmann <ulrich.hausmann@rhein-neckar.netsurf.de> wrote:

>yes. I used "Build Devices" menu of NetBSD / Installer, but at a certain
>point the process stops and I'm getting this (error, I presume) msgs:
>
>| mode = 05, inum = 1023, fs = /
>| ialloc: dup alloc

I'm seeing similar things on an old disk that I've used for NetBSD for
the last couple of years.  Because of a disk failure on my main disk I've
been going thru the hoops of re-installing from scratch.  I know this
particular disk has some marginal blocks because NetBSD was reporting
them on some of the daily and weekly maintenace scripts.  Having played a
bit with some disk formatters I discovered that these blocks were _NOT_
being mapped out during the format process.  I wonder if transient I/O
errors might be causing the problems with the Installer?  I have a disk
formatter that has a bad block mapping facility that does seem to work,
so I'm thinking about running it over this disk and see what happens.

Also on one of my new disks I see that the Installer 1.1e reports 9
partitions, but Installer 1.1g reports only 7. Attempting to access this
disk under NetBSD with either disklabel or newfs causes a system crash
(illegal instruction) at the end of the process. Is it possible there's
an off-by-one error in the fake disklabel code?  I'm about to test this
by further reducing the partiton count on the disk.

-bob