Subject: Re: Bug in ar
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron F Godfrey <fgodfrey+@CMU.EDU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/04/1998 13:21:52
	This is a bug that I've seen before, not under NetBSD, but under
Rhapsody/PPC (which also uses gcc).  I was compiling Kerberos and had
library corruption in one or two of its libraries.  After a good 3 or 4
hours of irritation, I finally figured out that a file name that is too
long causes a corrupt symbol table.  There was a flag which I forget (I
think -T?) that causes ar to truncate names of object file when entering
them into the symbol table.  Try adding that.  It fixed the problem for
me.   Note that by "fixed" I mean "got the program to compile".  SOmeone
should still fix ar :)

								-- Forest
|  Forest Godfrey                              fgodfrey+@cmu.edu|
|  Penguins in '99!                             fgodfrey@nyx.net|
|  Go Badgers!               Internet: Use it.  Don't abuse it! |
|  Vote Democrat!     Your share of the national debt>$19,880   |
|         Save the planet!  We don't have a backup copy         |