Subject: Re: 3 Button Mouse?
To: Roger Fischer <roger@badger1.net>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/04/1998 10:33:56
Roger Fischer wrote:

> Is anybody using a 3 button mouse on their NetBSD Mac?

Yes, I am, and so are many others.

> I read the FAQ and it mentions Logitech.
>
> I have found no reference to any Macintosh mice on their web site,
> and haven't seen any mice from logitech in any product catalogs.

Ahh, they discontinued their pointing device products for Macintosh.
Bummer.

> I have a Macally two button mouse that I use on my G3.  I plugged
> it into my Centris and booted up NetBSD.  It recognized it as a
> two button mouse during bootup, but when I started X, the second
> button didn't do anything.

Are you sure?  If it's recognized as a two-button mouse, it should
work.  I think the second button's not configured to do anything useful
under your X set-up.  Consult your window manager's man pages for how to
write the "rc" file.

> Does anybody know if the Kensington multi-button mice work?
> I can probably live with Option 1, 2, and 3, but who wants to ;^)

I borrowed a Kensington Thinking Mouse and tested it on NetBSD/mac68k.
It showed up as a four-button mouse as it should, and I could use three
buttons (the fourth button's not configured to do anything useful under
my fvwm set-up ;-)

Other multi-button relative pointing devices supported under
NetBSD/mac68k include Mouse Systems A3 Mouse, MicroSpeed MacMouse
Deluxe, Contour Mouse (recently added to -current), and Alps GlidePoint.

Hope it helps,

Ken