Subject: Re: NetBSD Networking
To: None <yklein@netzone.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/04/1998 10:25:06
Yves Klein wrote:
> I am trying to establish a local-area network that has an Internet connection.
> The local-area network has 4 Mac plus an other one with NetBSD (which I intent
> be my gateway machine). I was able to setup all the appropriates files an
> reboot with out any errors but when I try to ping my present gateway (a Power
> Mac) it gives me a "sendto: host is down" error.

Most likely because you haven't configured the interface.

I'm assuming your Asante card is a NIC (National Semiconductor's DP8390
or DP83901) based card so it will be "ae0" under NetBSD/mac68k.

Do you see any line starting with ae0 during the boot?

> My ethernet card is an ASANTE Technologies MC3NB(ST-NIC-V) REV. B1. I would
> greatly appreciate if some one could tell me if this card is supported and if
> not which card should I purchase for This Mac IIx. In case you wonder about
> the card, it does work under MacOS.

Provided that it is recognized by the kernel, you need to configure it
with the command "ifconfig".  What you usually have to do is put
appropriate parameters in /etc/ifconfig.ae0 file so that it'll be
configured automatically everytime you boot NetBSD in multiuser mode.

Let us assume that you want the IP address of ae0 to be 192.168.0.1 with
netmask 255.255.255.0. Then you write:

192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

in your /etc/ifconfig.ae0 file.

You probably want to set up DNS server so that other Macs can use domain
names rather than IP addresses within your LAN.

Ken