Subject: Re: Installation problem
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/03/1998 16:43:50
>I installed AddNerd and apparently the installation was correct, but I'm
>unable
>to execute it, because my system is set to read only. How can I change this?
>
>For example, when I try to execute 'vi' (which is the standard editor, I
>presume), I get
>this error
>
>'ex/vi: Error: Unable to create temporary file: Read-only file system'
>
>What should I do?

Step 1)
Make sure that you have the booter set up to go multi-user.

Step 2)
Make sure that you have RC_CONFIGURED set to YES in etc/rc.conf.

Step 3)
Type "exit" without the quotes.

Those steps should definitely get you booted multi-user.

I think that you may be confused a bit by the term multi-user, while
talking about adding users. Single is a term used to describe when the
system boots without running any of its network daemons. It has nothing to
do with how many users are installed on a system. But, when you use the
booter to boot into single-user mode, it will mount the filesystem
read-only. That is because pretty much the only time that you should need
to run single-user would be to run fsck, which should be run on a read-only
filesystem. You can do a mount -a or something to let the system be
read-write while in single-user, but I find it just as easy to simply exit
& go to multi-user, which mounts the system as r/w anyway. If RC_CONFIGURED
is set to NO (as it ships) and you try to boot multi-user, it gets far
enough to have the filesystem mounted read/write before noticing that it's
set to NO, so you'll still be in single-user, but you'll be able to change
stuff. Once you get it configured to YES, then you can go into multi-user
in full glory. (sorry for the length)

>The following was a separate msg, which obviously didn't make it thru to the
>list (was sent this morning at 09:37 (+0200), so I'll repeat my request:
>
>I'm still trying to find out, how to configure a new user. In this context a
>very practical question:
>
>There are 2 passwd manual pages (passwd(1) and passwd(5)). When I call 'man
>passwd' it always points only to the first one. 'man passwd(1)/(5)' does not
>work. What am I doing wrong?

To read a particular part of a man page, the correct syntax is "man #
command". So in this case, you'd want to type "man 5 passwd"

Hope this helps,
Mike

Bikers don't *DO* taglines.