Subject: Re: Adduser
To: Ulrich Hausmann <ulrich.hausmann@rhein-neckar.netsurf.de>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/03/1998 13:26:27
Ulrich Hausmann wrote:
> I'm still trying to find out, how to configure a new user. In this context a
> very practical question:
>
> There are 2 passwd manual pages (passwd(1) and passwd(5)). When I call 'man
> passwd' it always points only to the first one. 'man passwd(1)/(5)' does not
> work. What am I doing wrong?

try:

man man

;-)

the proper invocation is:

man [section #] command

so you'd want to do:

man 1 passwd
man 5 passwd

btw, the section 5 manual pages just describe file formats.

as for your original question (adding a user with filesystem mounted
read-only), there are a couple of solutions:  first, i'd recommend going
into multi-user (can you?) where the filesystem is mounted read/write.  if
that doesn't work, then you can simply mount the root filesystem
read/write by doing:

mount /

(assuming your /etc/fstab isn't totally hosed, anyway ;-)

i hope this helps.

later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation