Subject: Re: Adduser
To: Ulrich Hausmann <ulrich.hausmann@rhein-neckar.netsurf.de>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/03/1998 16:15:20
At 9:37 AM +0200 9/3/98, Ulrich Hausmann wrote:
>I'm still trying to find out, how to configure a new user. In this context a
>very practical question:
>
>There are 2 passwd manual pages (passwd(1) and passwd(5)). When I call 'man
>passwd' it always points only to the first one. 'man passwd(1)/(5)' does not
>work. What am I doing wrong?
>
>Thanks in advance, Ulrich

There's no adduser script that comes with NetBSD. They exist however
(probably on ftp.netbsd.org, but I'm not sure).

Basically, to modify the password file, run "vipw" and use vi commands to
edit the file and then exit.  vipw basically edits /etc/master.passwd with
vi, and runs pwd_mkdb upon quitting vi to rebuild the database and
/etc/passwd.

Alternatively, you can edit /etc/master.passwd with your favorite text
editor and then run /usr/sbin/pwd_mkdb

After you create/modify user accounts with vipw, run "passwd <username>" to
set the password of the <username>

  - a