Subject: Re: "Interesting" df output
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: MICHAEL LARKIN <tinomen@usa.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/03/1998 13:00:00
>  > Those numbers are impossible. "sd0a" is only 32MB, "sd0g" is 100MB.
>  > "sd0e" is also only 32MB. The entire drive is only 200MB!
>  >
>  > Everything else seems to work fine. I can create files in /usr, /var, and

>  > anywhere else on the drive. But the broken file system size seems to hose
>  > number of programs, including sendmail. Other than that, the
>  > system functions well. (Or at least appears to).

>  Both /usr and /var are full. ffs filesystems need to have a certain amount
>  of free space to operate correctly, so the "100%" capacity size is less
>  than the size of the drive in blocks.

>  As root, you can fill the disk above the "100%" capacity. Other users,
>  though, can't.

>  Try deleting some stuff and you should be fine. I find the unformatted man
>  pages are a good candidate (depending on the version, they might be
>  installed).

Ahh. I knew about that fact, but was more concerned with df reporting the size
of the filesystems incorrectly. In addition, doing a du -k /var reveals that
it has hardly anything in it at all.

I get similar results for /usr. The size of /usr is 100MB, and only 87MB are
used. In /var, only 13MB are used. (Out of 32MB).

I only installed the base and etc sets at this point, so /var remains farily
unpopulated.

Any clues?

-ml
tinomen@usa.net