Subject: Re: "Interesting" df output
To: MICHAEL LARKIN <tinomen@usa.net>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/03/1998 11:51:34
On 3 Sep 1998, MICHAEL LARKIN wrote:

> After an uneventful installation on my Mac IIcx, I received some errors from
> sendmail, complaining about lack of disk space. I was surprised to see the
> following output from df:
>
> Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/sd0a      190122   168250     2859    98%    /
> /dev/sd0g      286321   259602    -1914   101%    /usr
> /dev/sd0e      317210   286873    -1384   100%    /var
> kernfs              1        1        0   100%    /kern
> procfs              4        4        0   100%    /proc
>
> Those numbers are impossible. "sd0a" is only 32MB, "sd0g" is 100MB.
> "sd0e" is also only 32MB. The entire drive is only 200MB!
>
> Everything else seems to work fine. I can create files in /usr, /var, and
> anywhere else on the drive. But the broken file system size seems to hose a
> number of programs, including sendmail. Other than that, the
> system functions well. (Or at least appears to).

Both /usr and /var are full. ffs filesystems need to have a certain amount
of free space to operate correctly, so the "100%" capacity size is less
than the size of the drive in blocks.

As root, you can fill the disk above the "100%" capacity. Other users,
though, can't.

Try deleting some stuff and you should be fine. I find the unformatted man
pages are a good candidate (depending on the version, they might be
installed).

Take care,

Bill