Subject: Re: Problems with my hard disk
To: Frank Klingenh=?ISO-8859-1?B?9g==?=fer <klingenh@paxp02.mipool.uni-jena.de>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/03/1998 10:11:46
Frank Klingenh=?ISO-8859-1?B?9g==?=fer wrote:
> Hi !
> Problem:
>  I can_t use my extern hard disk with NetBSD.
>
> Configaration:
>  Performa 475 with 68040 CPU
>  36 Mbyte Ram
>  160 MByte disk IBM H3171-S2      at ID 0
>  2.7 GByte disk SEAGATE ST 43400N at ID 1
>  CD drive 300 Apple               at ID 2
>
>  MacOS 8.1 and 7.5.5 on the extern disk.
>  NetBSD 1.3.2 an the intern disk.
>
>  I tried to install NetBSD on the extern disk:
>  - Partitioning with DriveSetup 1.5

hmmmm....can drivesetup 1.5 handle SCSI disks?  i thought it was IDE
only...

>  - Changing the type of some partitions with Mkfs_1.45
>  - Formatting the partitions with Mkfs_1.45
>  - Tried to install the packages with NetBSD/Mac68k Installer 1.1g
>    Got the message:
>   Error on SCSIRead(), # 5
>   failed mountfs(), error 22.
>   Error mounting root.
>   mount root. : Undefined error: 0
>
> Then I installed NetBSD on the intern disk.
>  It worked.
>  Tried to mount sd1 -> kernel panic.
>
> Question:
>  Is there a chance to use the SEAGATE disk with NetBSD ?

i'd reformat and repartition the external drive (assuming you don't have
MacOS stuff on it).  i've found that modifying the partition maps multiple
times (especially for partitions near the end of a large disk) tends to
confuse the installer and netbsd.

later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation