Subject: Re: Formatting/Block sizes
To: Mark de Jong <mdj@home.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/03/1998 11:18:56
On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Mark de Jong wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've been going through the partitioning and formatting steps of setting up
> a hard drive for NetBSD.
>
> While using Mkfs, I noticed that it is allocating space as follows:
>
> 	512 bytes / sector
> 	8192 bytes / block
> 	4096 bytes / inode
>
> This appears to be an inefficient way of setting this up. It seems like a
> smaller block size would allow for more files to be stored on the disk.

The fast file system (ffs) does not suffer from this problem to the same
extent as msdos and HFS file systems. If an 8k block isn't filled by one
file, it can also hold "leftovers" of other files. All the gory details
are in /usr/share/doc/smm/05.fastfs. If you're fortunate enough to have a
postscript printer, or if you already have ghostscript set up, type 'make'
in that directory to get the postscript file. If not, 'groff -e -ms
-Tlatin1 *.t |less' gives you something you can read.