Subject: Re: remote control?
To: Ulrich Hausmann <ulrich.hausmann@rhein-neckar.netsurf.de>
From: Eric Damien Berna <eric@thiel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/02/1998 08:54:45
At 4:57 AM -0500 9/2/98, Ulrich Hausmann wrote:
>Given I had finished my IIci server setup (that isn't the case yet . . .),
>would I am able to take away keyboard and monitor from that NetBSD box and
>control (administrate) it entirely remotely?

Yes, you can do that. In fact that is the only way I can do anything on one
of my NetBSD machines. I have a Q950, and the ADB and serial ports don't
work due to their design. So I have to do everything remotely over the
network.

There are a few things to consider. The Mac OS needs to see a monitor, or
it won't start. Some video cards and internal video ports can sense a
monitor, and if they don't and it is the only video in the Mac, the Mac
won't start up. It's a simple matter of shorting two pins with a paper
clip, or attaching a video adaptor if you have a spare one. Also, on my
IIcx, NetBSD won't start if there isn't an ADB device attached, so I have
an old mouse plugged in. This may not be the case if you are using the
serial consel. I don't know since I use telnet logins over my Ethernet
network.

Eric Damien Berna
eric@thiel.com

NetBSD 1.3.1 on a Mac IIcx