Subject: Re: Installation problem
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: bvjsales <bvjsales@japan.co.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/02/1998 00:45:01
Ulrich wrote:

>I installed the man package and can access it now. I also found the
>'adduser' related page, but: How do I stop the scrolldown (the F15=Pause key
>on my extended keyboard is disabled, obviously)? I got the advice to use
>that key from the FreeBSD docs. Actually, when I do 'cat adduser.8' I only
>can read the last page . . .

IF the manual page does not diplay in 'pages' for some reason (it usually
shows one screenful and waits - afaik), I think you can pipe the output
through 'more' to stop text scrolling out of site for any screen output.
You will be able to read the screen a 'page' at a time.

for example:

man adduser | more
ps -aux | more
ls -l |more

to see the next page just hit the 'return key' to scroll down line by line or
use 'control d' to scroll down a couple of paragraphs. I don't know how to
scroll up

I know that in X, scrolling is allowed within the manual pages using the UP
DN arrow keys as long as you do not scroll past the last line in the 'page'.

To add a user:

Try using the " addnerd " utility for 95% automated setup of 'user/nerd'
accounts

I recently added it to my NetBSD 1.3 version and got it to work.
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/sysutils/addnerd/README.html

This utility is based on Matthew Green's addbozo.pl script, and is
designed to add a local user to the system, including the construction
of the home directory.

It creates an account in the accounts /home directory adds the .profile
.cshrc and .login files to the new account directory sets initial CHOWN and
CHMOD for the account directory and adds a line in the masterpassword file

all you have to do is set the initial new account password and tell the
person his login name and passwd

example

addnerd pixel
passwd pixel

===================
In my case 'addnerd' did not launch even though it is in my PATH so,

if addnerd does not launch from its $PREFIX/bin or $PREFIX/sbin location
you may circumvent by making an alias to it

I prefer to add aliases from the root directory so

cd /
alias addnerd $PREFIX/bin/addnerd
- note - you can change the alias to 'adduser' if you like

Hope this helps a bit,
***any corrections are welcome :-)

regards,
NRT