Subject: Re: color X questions
To: alissa bader <molbloo@interport.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/01/1998 14:48:59
alissa bader wrote:

> Howdy, I got me a nice Quadra 700 with a 1.1 gig hd, and I downloaded the
> NetBSD distribution, and was all excited to have my whole system booted
> and Xwindows running when I learned of the disturbing news that...X really
> doesn't run in color on 68K macs (boo).  Well, unless you've got the
> special NuBus video card and stuff.  So here are my questions:  where can
> I purchase such a video card?

Take a look at www.ebay.com...they often have a number of them at auction
that are compatible.  You might want to ask here if the card you're
looking at works under the latest SLOTMAN kernels or not, tho (or under
the colorkit LKM).

> Does anyone on this list have a spare,
> perhaps we can work out a trade or somesuch.  And finally, when I get the
> card installed in the machine, do I generally have to also install special
> drivers in order for the video card to work?

You'll either need a SLOTMAN kernel or else you'll need to grab a copy of
the colorkit LKM off of Puma.  I think that both of these options are
mentioned in the X11 section of the FAQ.

I hope this helps some.

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation