Subject: Re: Files Not Found
To: Stephen <ostbahn@sprynet.com>
From: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/29/1998 12:27:50
On Sat, 29 Aug 1998, Stephen wrote:

> What the problem comes down to is that the executables in /usr/libexec
> can be listed and viewed using more, but when I try to run them, I get
> the file not found message.  The file permissions specify read and
> execute permissions for owner, group, and everyone.  All the other
> executables in the /usr/bin and the /bin directories work without any
> problems.  Does this sound like bad tarballs or maybe a problem with the
> installer?  (Using 1.1g).
> I've tried using a single root/usr partition, but this didn't help. At
> this point, I have only the sbc kernel 1.3, base, and etc packages
> installed. Any ideas?
> Thanks again,

Why are you trying to run executables in /usr/libexec? To quote man hier,
/usr/libexec is full of "system daemons & system utilities (executed by
other programs)." If all is working right, you don't need to execute them.

Anything that needs to execute them will use the full path to the file, so
the fact /usr/libexec's not in your PATH environment variable will not be
a problem.

Take care,

Bill