Subject: Re: Installation problem
To: None <ulrich.hausmann@rhein-neckar.netsurf.de>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/29/1998 19:47:11
On Sat, 29 Aug 1998 11:22:25 +0200, Ulrich Hausmann wrote:

> Anyway, some steps forward I did: I can move, when I get a prompt -
> remembering the commands at the shell of my isp. But something does not
> work. "man" for example.

Did you install the ``man'' set?  That is, the NetBSD distribution is
divided into multiple sets that are collections of various parts of
the system grouped together by their functions.  The ``man'' set
contains the man command and man pages.  This is explained in the
INSTALL document that comes with the distribution.

> Now, can I install additional packages/programs
> from the CD (or downloaded) using the Macintosh NetBSD/Installer program
> (using install), or should that be done from the prompt?

You can use BSD Installer to install the NetBSD distribution sets and
the source tar files, but you should not use it to install the
``packages'' (the files found under /pub/NetBSD/packages/ at the FTP
site ftp.NetBSD.ORG).  You should use the NetBSD pkg_add command,
instead.

> Moreover, in the manual "For People New to Both FreeBSD and Unix", there is
> explained an "adduser" command. This does not work for me. What do I wrong
> here?

FreeBSD has adduser command but NetBSD does not.  There's manual pages
titled adduser, however, and it outlines how you add a new user account.

> Just to test and to see, if I'm there - generally, I tried the
> "/sbin/shutdown -h now" command (that works nice with the IIci) and the
> "/sbin/shutdown -r now" command. The latter reboots in MacOS, to make it
> work as assumed, I should put an alias of the Booter program in the MacOS
> startup folder, right?

Yes, and you probably want to set Booter's autoboot option which
causes Booter to boot NetBSD automatically when a certain amount of
time has passed after it's launched.

> Although I see, from the prompt (and on NetBSD boot) the CDRom drive, I can

What do you mean by you "see, from the prompt the CDRom drive"?  I
understand you see some information about your CD-ROM drive in the
boot message, but I'm not sure what you mean by you see it from the
prompt.

> not change the prompt to it; there is the Gateway3 CD in it, which should be
> a readable volume. Indeed I can do "disklabel cd0" and see something. But
> "cat", "ls" or so do not work . . .?

Probably because you haven't mounted the CD.  You mount a CD-ROM by
the following command (assuming your drive is cd0 and you have a
directory /cdrom):

mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0a /cdrom

Only then, you can say "ls /cdrom" to view the content of the CD-ROM.

> Then, actually it isn't that big deal for me, since from the Apple II I
> pretty used to use, but, how do I activate German keyboard support?

I think Hauke Fath has done some work on it?  Anyway, unfortunately,
there is not yet a way to change the key mappings without compiling
your own kernel.  I think it should be easy enough to make the kernel
have multiple key mapping tables and change mappings depending on the
type of keyboard connected (*), but it currently has only one key
mapping table for the US ASCII layout, and there's no API to change it
at run time.  Thus you need to change it at compile time.

*: There's an issue to be resolved, of what to do when multiple
keyboards with different layouts are connected.

> And does it work with *any* ADB keyboard?

It should work with almost any ADB keyboard if not all.

Hope this helps,

Ken