Subject: NetBSD on a Carrera040 accelerator!
To: NetBSD Port-mac68k <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: I-Jong Lin <ijonglin@EE.Princeton.EDU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/28/1998 17:56:54
Dear People,

   After much kernel hacking, I'm very pleased to announce that I've
a 1.3 NetBSD kernel to start into single user mode the 90 Mhz Carrera
'040 accelerator on my Mac IIcx (16 Mhz '030).  It's much, much,
faster now (7-8 times faster) .  However, it does crash when getting into
multi-user mode, so I'm going to need some help:

1)  If you have a MicroMac 040 accelerator and want to try to boot this
kernel and see how far you get, I'll post it somewhere.  I need to get
a list of people that can test this stuff.

2)  I've need to work out some of the final kinks in the code where
it thinks it has a '030 when it actually has an '040.  Also, there's
a special physical memory location that shouldn't be written to,
how do I make sure the kernel doesn't touch this mem location?

3) Also, Nigel, I need to ask a few changes to the booter
since it sends incorrect info to the kernel due to the processor switch.

Anyway, I would like to thank everybody who answered my many stupid
questions, in particular, Colin Wood, Ken Nakata, Allen Briggs, Scott
Reynolds, Christopher Bowman.  Also kudos to the nice engineer at MicroMac
Roman Grvdl who gave me the system extension source code,
Glenn L. Austin who imparted the software trickiness for the
Processor switcheroo upon me and my girlfriend Yun-Ting who didn't
once say "you're doing this for free?".  Finally, thanks to the NetBSD
community for allowing me to push off using Windows-based machine
for another 15 years or so.

It doesn't work yet, but with boot messages coming at me
with a delay factor of 406, I'm still pretty psyched.

I-Jong

P.S.  I have to do my real research now, so I'll have to take a
two week kernel hacking hiatus.