Subject: Re: Files not Found problem
To: Stephen <ostbahn@sprynet.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/28/1998 08:45:36
Stephen wrote:
> I've made three attempts to get BSD 1.3 running on my IIci, and whenever
> I attempt to boot into multi user mode, I get :
>
> Starting network:
> grep: not found
> install: not found
> (followed by more 'not found' messages)
> and finally the system hangs and repeatedly prints:
>
> init: can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty/ for port /dev/ttye0: No such
> file or directory

do you have a separate /usr partition?  it sounds to me like you forgot to
mount your /usr partition when you did the install, so all the /usr
binaries (including the missing /usr/libexec/getty) are now on your root
partition.  when netbsd goes into multi-user mode, it mounts your empty
/usr partition and hides all the binaries.

if this isn't the case, then something has gone quite wrong ;-)

i hope this helps.

later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation